she made a delicious quinoa and black bean dish. she found the recipe on all recipes.com. (i've pasted it down below). quinoa is a type of grain, actually a seed. to add some color to the dish, she added some chopped red pepper. unfortunately we didn't have cilantro, but overall the dish was very good!
the cumin and cayenne gave it a nice flavor. for those who want more protein, i think you could add some chicken to the dish.
maybe i should let my roommate cook more often.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
- Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
- Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.