Friday, August 17, 2012

yummy crumble

I've been trying to find the right balance of butter, sugar and flour to get a nice crunchy crumble topping. I think this might be a winner.

I decided to try using dark brown sugar which caramelizes very nicely with the butter and heat.

I used:
120g plain flour
50 g caster sugar
50 g dark brown sugar
75 g unsalted butter at room temperature

Actually the butter doesn't have to be at room temperature because it warms up as you start mixing the ingredients together. I recommend mixing it all by hand especially if you're using butter straight from the fridge.  Keep mixing until  you get a breadcrumb texture.  Then place on top of your fruit mixture. I decided to do another apple and rhubarb mixture which I posted earlier.

You can see the nice caramelization around the edges of the dish.  I topped it off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to cool it down. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment