If you don't have breadcrumbs at home, try making your own. I just take the ends off the bread that no one ever eats, and let them dry out. Then I bake them in the oven for about 10 minutes. Then pop them into a food processor to get your own homemade bread crumbs.
- 2 large potatoes cut into big cubes
- 2 fillets of trout (or salmon)
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp flour
- Boil the potatoes for about 10 minutes until they are tender. When done, let them steam dry for a few minutes. Then mash them in separate bowl.
- While potatoes are boiling, grill the salmon for about 10 minutes until fully cooked.
- Once the trout has cooled, break apart the trout into flakes into the mash.
- Combine the trout and potatoes added some salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the fish cakes about 6cm (2 1/2 in) in diameter. You should have about 8 cakes.
- Dip them in the flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. (Tip: I use different hands for this step. I use my left hand for the dry ingredients, and my right hand for the wet ingredients.)
- Chill the cakes in the fridge for about 30 minutes so fish cakes don't fall apart when you fry them.
- Place about 3 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Cook the fish cakes about 4-5 minutes on both sides until they are nicely brown.
- Serve with sweet chili dipping sauce or any dipping sauce of your choice.