today i was really craving korean food, but i didn't want to have to go out and buy ingredients. then i remembered that i had all the ingredients to make duk bokki (spicy rice cake). for those who aren't familiar with this dish, it's rice cakes combined with sliced fish cake, bulgogi (marinated beef), onions seasoned with red pepper paste.
here's my recipe:
2 cups of sliced rice cake (soaking in water for at least 30 min)
1/2 pound of bulgogi meat
1 onion sliced
1 cup of sliced fish cake
1 tbsp korean red pepper paste
3 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
1. first cook the bulgogi meat with the sliced onions.
2. once the bulgogi meat is done, add the fish cakes.
3. add the red pepper paste (you can add more if you want it more spicy).
4. drain the rice cakes (but save the water). add the rice cakes along with about 1/4 cup of the water.
5. add the sesame oil, sugar, soy sauce.
6. let it simmer until the rice cake is soft.
7. taste to see if you need to add more of sesame oil, sugar, soy sauce or red pepper paste.
this is how i learned to make it from my mom. it's a bit on the sweeter side, but i like it that way. you can season it how you want it.
i had enough for 2 more meals which i can use for lunch this week. i'm sure i'll get a number of questions about my lunch when i bring this in.