this story prompted me to give them a lesson on how to make kimbap. i, too, miss kimbap. while living in los angeles, i could just drive to the korean grocery store and pick up a pack of kimbap. sadly, i no longer have that luxury. if i want kimbap, i have to make it.
i was able to find most of the ingredients in the local supermarket except for the danmuji (also known as dak kwang which is pickled radish). i had to purchase that from the korean grocery store.
since i had never learned how to make kimbap, i googled a few sites and found recipes from maangchi and aeri's kitchen who both do a good job of presenting how to prepare each item. so i've tailored their recipes to make about 5 kimbap rolls which will make about 2-3 servings.
- 3-4 cups cooked rice (made from 2 cups of uncooked sushi rice)
- rice vinegar
- toasted sesame seeds
- laver or nori seaweed (“kim”) – 5 sheets
- yellow radish pickle (“danmu ji”) – found out Korean grocery shop
- 2 carrots – julienne
- 2 eggs
- imitation crabmeat (if available but not necessary)
- large bag of spinach (200g)
- soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil and seeds, and a green onion
- 1/2 cup (100 grams of mince beef
- 1 green onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- black pepper
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients for beef filling. Mix well. Set aside to marinade.
Preparing the rice.
- Prepare about 3-4 cups of cooked rice in a large bowl
- Make your mixing sauce by mixing up ½ tbs sugar, 1 ts salt, 1 tbsp of toasted sesame seeds and 1 tbs of rice vinegar until the liquid looks clear
- Mix rice with the mixing sauce and stir it evenly. Set it aside for now.
Preparing all the ingredients for kimbap
- Slice yellow radish into 1cm strips.
- Slice crabmeat into 1cm strips.
- Fry the meat in a pan until fully cooked. Strain out the liquid.
- In a pan, fry the carrots with a pinch of salt.
- Preparing egg.
- Scramble 2 eggs in a bowl with a pinch of salt.
- Fry into one sheet.
- Remove from pan and cut into 1cm strips.
- Preparing Spinach
- Blanch spinach in boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Remove from water and rinse in cold water.
- Squeeze excess water from spinach and place in a bowl.
- Add 1 tsp of sesame oil and a pinch of salt.
- Mix together.
- Set aside.
- Place a sheet of seaweed(“kim”) on the bamboo mat and evenly spread a layer of rice in the center of it.
- Place 2-3 spoons of beef on top of the layer of rice. Add a yellow radish pickle strip, some spinach, 1 strip of egg, and carrots.
- Roll it up gently using the bamboo mat.
- Remove the bamboo mat and cut the roll into pieces about 2 cm thick and place it on a plate
*tip: prepare a wet cloth or paper towel to wipe the knife while cutting, it will make it slice easier.